Friday, June 3, 2011

Moment Of Clarity

Came across this piece on Bronnie Ware's website, and I experienced a moment of clarity. My mechanic said this to me today. " yo my friend, life is funny mehn... life is not tomorrow, its not yesterday, its right now! Live it well, dont get married till you are 31 bro, enjoy." lol he is Latino too, so his accent made it even more epic. The bottom line is that, have no regrets my friend. Dont plan your life, just live it.


REGRETS OF THE DYING

For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives.


1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled


2. I wish I didn't work so hard.

This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret.


3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming


4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years


5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realize until the end that happiness is a choice



Read the full piece here